Whipped back stitch
A whipped back stitch is a variation of a Back stitch and is made in two steps. First, we embroider a simple backstitch and then whip it with another thread. You can use the same color thread to make a straight raised line or two contrasting colors to create a rope-like line.
Applications of Whipped back stitch:
- This beautiful stitch is excellent for lettering.
- Outlining made with a Whipped back stitch will create a smooth line.
- Borders embroidered with double colored Whipped back stitch will be simple yet very decorative.
Watch a video tutorial below and learn how to embroider a Whipped back stitch.
Some additional tips:
- Try to make all the backstitches the same length so the final rope will be twisted equally.
- Use a blunt needle, like a tapestry needle (or the back of the needle), for whipping. Be careful not to snag the backstitch or the fabric under and not to hurt your fingers if you use the eye of a regular embroidery needle.
- The smaller the backstitch is, the denser will be the twist of the final stitch.
- If you want to use 2 colors for this stitch, keep in mind that you will need more floss of the color you will use for the backstitch. If you have a small amount of the floss left – use it for whipping.
Looking for some other stitch? Head to the Stitches and Techniques part of this blog and choose the stitch you want to learn!
N.B. Some of the links may take you to the EasyToMake designs blog. This is my older hand embroidery blog. While I’m dedicating all of my energy to the Practical Embroidery blog, the previous version still has a lot of great content!
Would you like to learn this stitch while practicing? Then, check out the projects below and create something beautiful today!
Baby Moon design for hand embroidery. Pdf pattern with detailed instructions for beginners
Baby Moon design for hand embroidery is a great embroidery project for beginners. A simple hand embroidery design with Baby Moon behind the cloud motive in light blue, grey, and yellow colors would perfectly suit the jeans or trousers’ back pocket. Also, you can embroider this design on a t-shirt, tote bag, or a string backpack, make a banner, or frame it in a hoop and decorate your children’s room. The bright colors of this embroidery pattern will look great both on the dark and light-colored fabric.
Young Sun embroidery pdf pattern and instructions
Young sun embroidery pdf pattern and instructions is an excellent project for hand embroidery beginners. Add a smiling face to your clothes and enjoy every stitch! Bright colors of the design will look great on both dark and light fabrics.
This embroidery pattern comes with fully guided instructions. In addition, a detailed step-by-step tutorial with photos and links to video lessons will make your crafting experience joyful and stress-free.